In light of recent weather related events I’ve started suggesting contents for emergency bags for friends and coworkers. I started doing this after talking with a former coworker got himself stuck in a high rise during Super Storm (Hurricane) Sandy and had to sit in the dark with no way to charge his cell phone. He had plenty of food and water and used his cell phone to see where he was going but he ran out of power a couple of hours into the night.
My rationalization is that you have most things like food and drinking water around you at your office and or home but there are things you you might really need during an emergency that aren’t readily available just before a disaster and almost impossible to find after one so that’s why I put together this list.
- Liberty Mountain Waterproof Pouch
- Energizer Universal Rechargeable Power Pack
- Energizer 7 LED Headlight
- Eton FR 160 Weather Radio
- K-TOR Pocket Socket Hand Crank Generator (Just in case you forget to charge your power pack)
- Leatherman Wingman Multi-Tool
- Compass and Thermometer Whistle
- Platypus 2 Liter Soft Bottle with Closure Cap (Once the power goes out the faucets will stop working)
- Moleskin Notebook
- Emergency Numbers written in the notebook above
- Gel Pen
- Local Map
- Cash. $$$ is king when there is no power. Squirrel away as much as you can in small denominations.
Liberty Mountain Waterproof Pouch
Leatherman Wingman Multi-Tool
Platypus 2 Liter Soft Bottle with Closure Cap
NYC Manhattan Street and Subway Map